ECO-TOUR: KIWI WATCH
What is Kiwi Watch?
- A unique opportunity to see the birds in their natural setting
- A personalised evening eco-tour lead by passionate and experienced Kiwi guides for a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 Kiwi watchers.
- This tour is suitable for children 8 years or older. If you wish to bring your younger children, we will do our best to ensure that you are the only patrons on the tour, so that everyone has a relaxed time (please advise at the time of booking).
From the comfort of an authentic, rustic hide you will:
- View kiwi in a truly unique setting
- See and hear them emerge from the undergrowth to feed
- Observe them feeding among the leaf litter
- Listen to their nocturnal calls
- Hear the unusual night noises typical of the New Zealand bush.
How do we arrange Kiwi Watch?
As Kiwi Watch takes place outside normal Kiwi House visiting hours, bookings are essential.
- Cost: ($45 per adult, $15 per child) to be paid at the time of booking or by 2.30pm on the day of the tour
- A full refund will be made if the tour is cancelled by the Kiwi House, due to too few participants or unsuitable weather
- Bookings must be made before 12 noon on the day of the tour.
- Please wear 'quiet' clothing (no leather or plastic) – noise upsets the birds
- Visitors will need to allow approximately 1½–2 hours for viewing
- Kiwi Watch is suitable for children 8 years and over
- The main species of kiwi on display is the Northern Brown Kiwi
- Visitors may also see the Great Spotted Kiwi and the Little Spotted Kiwi
- Kiwi Watch does not take place on Saturday evenings
- Cameras with flashes are not permitted
- Video cameras with night light are permitted.
How to find the Kiwi House
- For directions to the Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park click here.
- Download a Kiwi House Map ready for your visit.
Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park
Phone: +64 (7) 873 7391 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org