Visit the Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park
– the best place in New Zealand to see a Kiwi!
- Enjoy close-up viewing of our national bird, the Kiwi, in specialised nocturnal enclosures.
(It's the best place to see a Kiwi!)
- Walk through New Zealand's largest dome aviary.
- Meet the unique Tuatara reptile, which pre-dated the dinosaurs.
- Learn about New Zealand's many rare birds in beautiful park-like grounds filled with a large range of New Zealand's unique plants.
For a truly authentic New Zealand nature experience don't go past the Otorohanga Kiwi House in the heart of the North Island. It's ideal for a family outing and suitable for all ages. The world-famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Black Water Rafting and cave eco-tours are a 15-minute drive away and it's just 2 minutes to Otorohanga's main street.
The Kiwi House & Native Bird Park is owned and operated by the Otorohanga Zoological Society Inc. – a non-profit organisation dedicated since 1971 to the conservation of New Zealand's native wildlife through education, display and breeding programs.
We welcome New Zealand and international guests and offer concessions for schools and other interest groups.
Our native bird park is open every day of the year except Christmas Day.
Welcome to our Kiwi House, where you can share the magic of New Zealand's rare and special fauna and flora!