Visit the Otorohanga Kiwi House & Native Bird Park
– New Zealand's largest private collection of native birds and the best place in NZ to see a Kiwi!
- Enjoy close-up viewing of our national bird, the Kiwi, in specialised nocturnal enclosures.
(We guarantee that you'll always see a Kiwi)
- Walk through New Zealand's largest dome aviary.
- Meet the unique Tuatara reptile, which pre-dated the dinosaurs.
- Learn about New Zealand's many rare birds and enjoy a picnic in beautiful park-like grounds filled with a huge range of New Zealand's unique plants.
For a truly authentic New Zealand nature experience don't go past the Otorohanga Kiwi House in the heart of the North Island. It's just 15 minutes from the world-famous attractions of Waitomo's Glowworm Caves, Black Water Rafting and cave eco-tours.
The Kiwi House & Native Bird Park is owned and operated by the Otorohanga Zoological Society Inc. – a non-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation of New Zealand's native wildlife through education, display and breeding programs.
We welcome New Zealand and international guests and offer concessions for schools and other interest groups.
Our native bird park is open every day of the year except Christmas Day. If you stay overnight in Otorohanga, you can arrange to have a night-time encounter with a Kiwi on our popular Kiwi Watch eco-tour. (There is excellent accommodation and dining nearby)
Use this website to learn more about New Zealand's native birds and animals, as well as exciting initiatives such as our Adopt a Bird scheme.
Welcome to our Kiwi House, where you can share the magic of New Zealand's rare and special fauna and flora!